United States of America Student Aid

If you are a student who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and are in need of financial aid you can explore various programs such as the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, alternative/private loans, the 529 College Savings Plan, among others. The University of Toronto offers tax information for students receiving tax education credits.

U of T is a Title IV eligible institution that participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education, and we’re also an approved institution for the administration of subsidized and unsubsidized U.S. Direct Loans and PLUS Direct Loans.

Dual U.S. and Canadian Citizens

If you are eligible to apply for U.S. federal loans and Canadian Provincial/Territorial financial aid loans (meaning you are a dual citizens of the U.S. and Canada), we recommend that you research and determine the federal loan program that is best suited for your financial aid needs. You cannot obtain federal loans from both the U.S. and Canada.