Applying as a non-degree student is a great way to continue your education, whether it’s for personal interest, or to upgrade your university record to qualify for graduate school or a professional program.
As a non-degree student, you may enrol in arts, science or commerce/management degree credit courses (whether they’re in-person or online), for which you have the prerequisites, but are not proceeding towards a degree. Admission consideration is based on your entire postsecondary academic record and your most recent annual average (GPA).
Please get in touch with your former/current Registrar’s Office if you are:
- a former student at the University of Toronto and want to return to the same faculty or division you attended, or
- a former non-degree student or current non-degree student within the Faculty of Arts and Science (St. George campus), U of T Mississauga, or U of T Scarborough wanting to take non-degree courses within one of these other divisions. They can help you determine whether you’re eligible to re-register, or if you must re-apply using this application.
Note: Former degree students within the Faculty of Arts and Science St. George, UTM or UTSC wanting to take Non-degree courses within one of these other divisions must re-apply using the Non-Degree application. (e.g. If you were a degree student at UTM and now wish to take Non-Degree courses at UTSC, you must apply using the Non-Degree application.)
Be advised that:
- Faculty of Arts & Science (U of T St. George): Non-Degree students may not enrol in Rotman Commerce courses.
- U of T Mississauga: An undergraduate degree from a recognized institution is required. Non-Degree students may not enrol in upper-year Commerce or Management courses.
- U of T Scarborough: Only first-year courses may be considered for Non-Degree students in Management or Economics.
- Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education: Please email the Faculty directly or visit the Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education’s website.
- If you would like to pursue non-degree studies in a professional division (e.g., Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering, Faculty of Music, Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design), you must contact the area directly.
To apply to the University of Toronto as a Non-Degree Student, please complete the Non-Degree Application.
Engineering – Non-Degree Students
Non-degree students are those taking courses offered by the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering, who are not working towards an undergraduate degree within the Faculty. Often these are “visiting students,” who have received a letter of permission from their home university and are working towards a degree at that institution. Learn more about Non-Degree Students in the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering.