Canadians Abroad

Students from around the world call the University of Toronto home—including many Canadians who lived outside of Canada before beginning their studies at U of T. Canadians living abroad may have some different considerations:


Admission consideration is based on your high school curriculum rather than citizenship. Citizenship or immigration status in not a factor in the admission consideration process. Find admission requirements for all high school curricula here.


All Canadian citizens, Canadian permanent residents, and protected persons are eligible for domestic tuition fees. There is no requirement to establish residency in Canada or Ontario.

In addition, dependents of Canadian citizens, Canadian permanent residents, and protected persons are eligible for an exemption from international tuition fees. Find more information about International Fee Exemptions here.

Financial Aid

If you are a Canadian citizen, Canadian permanent resident, or protected person, you can be considered for need-based government student loans and grants. Students apply for financial aid from their home province. For financial aid purposes, your home province is generally where you, or your parents, last lived for at least 12 months, without being in college or university.

  • If you previously lived in Canada, apply for financial aid in the province where you last lived.
  • If you never lived in Canada, but you have a Canadian parent, apply for financial aid in the province where your parent last lived.
  • If you recently obtained status in Canada, and haven’t lived in a Canadian province/territory for at least 12 months, OSAP will treat you as an Ontario resident for student loan purposes.

If you aren’t sure what province to apply to, contact Enrolment Services for help.

A comprehensive list of the Provincial/Territorial Loan programs and their eligibility requirements can be found here.


All applicants to the University of Toronto are automatically considered for admission scholarships as a part of the admissions process. The majority of our scholarship funding is awarded through these automatic scholarships. At this time there are no admission scholarships that that require applications for Canadians abroad. Find more information about our scholarships.

Required Documents

Aren’t sure if you or your dependent is a Canadian citizen? Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada offers a citizenship guide, as well as an “Am I a Canadian Citizen?” tool.

New students will need to provide proof of their legal status in Canada in order to begin their studies. Details about the required documentation is available here.

Health Insurance

Domestic students retuning to Canada are required to apply for OHIP upon arriving in Ontario. OHIP is Ontario’s provincial healthcare plan and covers the costs of medical services and emergencies in Ontario. You must apply in person at a specialized Service Ontario Centre that offers a full suite of health card services. You will need to complete the OHIP registration form and provide three original documents:

As of March 19, 2020, Ontario is waiving the three-month OHIP waiting period. If you are self-isolating and cannot go to Service Ontario to apply for OHIP, or if you need to seek medical treatment, please contact Service Ontario at 1-866-532-3161.

In the event that the OHIP waiting period is reinstated, returning domestic students can contact the UHIP office to arrange temporary health coverage for approx. 3 months while they wait for their OHIP. Please email if you would like to discuss your eligibility for this coverage.

Find more information about health insurance here.