OSAP and Other Government Aid


The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a government financial aid program that assists eligible Ontario residents attending university through a combination of loans and grants. Visit the OSAP website to learn more and apply for OSAP today: www.ontario.ca/osap

The 2021-22 OSAP application is now available. Apply now on the OSAP website. For more information about OSAP at U of T, review our OSAP FAQs.

If you will receive Government Student Aid, you can find instructions to receive a Tuition Fee Deferral here.

Additional OSAP & Government Student Aid Resources

Provincial/Territorial Loan Programs

NEW for 2020/21 – Submit out of province financial aid requests and documentation using the Out of Province Request Portal

Responsibilities for Canadian (Outside of Ontario) students seeking financial aid:

  1. The ultimate responsibility of the student is to:
    1. Initiate financial aid with their home province; and
    2. Apply well in advance and prior to the start of the session with which they need financial aid funding.
  2. The student is responsible for following the deadlines, policies, and application steps of their home province.
  3. Students who have graduated, withdrawn from full time studies, or leave their studies are responsible for repaying their student loans as stipulated by their loan lender.
  4. Students with previous Canadian Outside of Ontario loans pursing full time studies are responsible for ensuring they submit a request for interest free status from a previous Canada Student loan and/or provincial loan. See the ‘Confirmation of Interest Free status’ section.
  5. As only the student may access their confidential financial aid file with their home province, should the home province require an application to be completed by the institution, the student is responsible for supplying the complete information to Enrolment Services. See ‘Institutional Requests’ section.
  6. Should the student change their academic course load and/or not pass their courses, the responsibility lies on the student to immediately report changes to both Enrolment Services and to their home province financial aid office.
  7. The student is responsible for following policies and deadlines, as published by the Student Accounts Office with regards to their student financial account on ACORN.

Enrolment Services role in administering the financial aid processing at U of T:

The Enrolment Services Office will assist Canadian Outside of Ontario students complete any Confirmation of Enrollment processing that the student requires so funding can be received. On occasion, a student may have need to initiate an appeal to their home province for their financial aid application.  Enrolment Services may assist with the appeals process in such cases.


Students who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons may be eligible for financial assistance from their provincial or territorial governments.

If you will receive Government Student Aid, instructions to request a Tuition Fee Deferral are available on the UofT Fees website.

Program Eligibility:

Students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents may be eligible for financial assistance from their provincial governments.

List of ineligible programs for funding and UTAPS:

  • International Dentist Advanced Placement Program (IDAPP) for Foreign-Trained Dentists
  • Dental Specialty Assessment and Training Program (DSATP)
  • Non-conjoint Toronto School of Theology Programs (TST students in conjoint programs are eligible to apply for OSAP)
  • All executive programs at the Rotman School of Management
  • Graduate Diploma in Professional Accounting – Faculty of Management
  • International Pharmacy Graduate Program (Canadian Pharmacy Skills) for individuals with foreign pharmacy degrees
  • Ontario Institute for Studies in Education – additional qualification courses
  • School of Continuing Studies courses
  • Residency programs
  • Certificate in Environmental Management
  • Certificate in Renewable Energy
  • Certificate in GIS for Environmental Management
  • Certificate in Environmental Health
  • Certificate in Leadership in Higher Education
  • Internationally Trained Lawyers Program
  • National Committee on Accreditation at the Faculty of Law
  • Master of Mathematical Finance
  • Doctor of Public Health
  • Any non-degree studies

Academic Terms within the Award Year:

Each award year comprises of three academic terms.  Each academic term is defined as:

Fall: September to December
Winter: January to April
Summer: May to August

Course Load Requirements: Full Time Status

Undergraduate: For financial aid applications, “Full Time” is defined as being registered in a minimum 60% course load in a term of study (40% for students with a documented permanent disability).  See note below on Accessibility Services.  

*Newfoundland and Labrador only – Full time studies defined as: Provincial: minimum 80% of a course load; Federal: minimum 60% of a course load.

Graduate and professional Degree: For financial aid applications, graduate and professional program students must meet the minimum Full Time course load defined by their program/faculty.

Note: Students with a permanent disability must establish permanent disability status with their home province. After establishing permanent disability with their home province, students may further contact the UofT Accessibility Services office to be set up with an advisor.  

Course Load Requirements: Part Time Status

All students interested in financial aid applications, who do not meet the above requirements, are considered to be in part time studies. Students must contact their home province to determine whether they may be eligible to apply for a part time financial aid.


Fall/Winter financial aid applications: Available from their home province around May of each year.

Summer financial aid applications: Students should contact their home province’s financial aid office several months prior to the start of the first day of Summer session classes to determine the process, eligibility and timeframes for applications.

Institutional Requests:

Students may have a paper document supplied by their home province with which the institution must provide program and tuition cost information.

Student’s Required Steps:

Summer session:

Paper forms: Please submit your paper form request through our new Out of Province Request Portal

BC students: Students who initiate a BC application are encouraged to submit the Appendix 3 via Studentaid BC online.

Fall/Winter session:

Paper forms: Please submit your paper form request through our new Out of Province Request Portal

Student Submission Deadlines:

Financial Aid applications: The deadline to submit a request for Enrolment Services to complete a form or online application required for your Canadian OOP financial aid application is 60 days prior to the end of term with which you are requesting funding from your home province.

Interest Free status applications:

Full Time Students: The deadline to submit a request for Enrolment Services to complete a form or online application for your request for interest free status is 30 days before the end of your full time study period

Alberta Part Time students only: The deadline to submit a request to complete a Form B for interest free status is 30 days before the end of your part time study period.

Note:  Enrolment Services will accept financial aid application requests after the deadlines above, as long as the student continues to be registered on ACORN within the study period. 

Applications submitted to Enrolment Services after the deadlines above are subject to the deadlines outlined by the student’s home province.  Students are responsible for applying early for financial aid applications.  As such, late application requests to Enrolment Services are not guaranteed to be completed by the required provincial deadlines.   See your home province financial aid website for information on provincial application deadlines.

Should there be issues that arise related to the processing of a late application request, the student will be contacted by Enrolment Services via email.

Institutional Timeline:

Enrolment Services receives the official tuition schedule and start and end dates of U of T programs prior to the start of the academic session.

Summer session: the timeframe the official tuition schedule is available is end of April.

Fall/Winter session: the timeframe the official tuition schedule is available is mid-July.

Once our office has this information, we can continue to process your request to provide program and tuition cost information to your home province.

Institutional Processing Timelines:

Summer session requests: Allow 3 weeks for a paper form or outside of Ontario provincial online request for program and tuition cost information to be processed by Enrolment Services.

Fall/Winter session requests: Once the official program cost and start and end date information is available in mid-July, students must allow 3 weeks for a paper form or outside of Ontario provincial online request to be completed. Confirmation of enrolment is completed by Enrolment Services within the first three weeks of class start date or within 3 weeks of request receipt whichever is later.

Important Note: Because Enrolment Services receives the official tuition and start/end date information for programs in mid-July, student requests to complete a confirmation of program and cost information prior to mid-July must expect a gap of time from their request date, until Enrolment Services can begin processing their file. 

Enrolment Services can only begin processing requests starting mid-July and will complete requests in date order received.

Tuition Fees Deferral Eligibility:

To qualify for a tuition deferral, a student must:

  1. Apply for a Canadian Outside of Ontario Financial Aid application with their home province and /or demonstrate to Enrolment Services that you’ve been assessed by your home province for government student aid greater than $0; and
  2. Have paid all outstanding financial obligations from previous sessions.

Obligations of a Registered Student:

A student is registered as soon as they have paid tuition and incidental fees or has made appropriate arrangements to register without payment (e.g., tuition deferral). Students who defer fee payment are responsible for the payment of all charges, including any service charges that may be assessed. Registered students agree to abide by all academic and non-academic policies, rules, and regulations of the University and of their academic division, as set out in the divisional calendar, and to ensure that the accuracy and maintenance of personal information such as current mailing address, telephone number, and UTOR email address.

Additional Information:

  1. Immediately after receiving your government funds, you must pay at least the ‘Minimum Payment to Register’ amount on your invoice. Your Canadian Outside of Ontario funding will not be directed to U of T to be applied to your tuition fees. If you do not receive any funding you are still responsible for paying your fees and must begin doing so as soon as you receive notification of refusal.
  2. Residence payments cannot be deferred and the student is responsible for making payments by the deadline provided by their residence.

Steps to complete Tuition Fees Deferral:

If you will receive government student aid from your home province, see the steps to obtain a Tuition Fee Deferral.

Students must complete the steps to request a tuition fees deferral before published deadlines, as stated by the Student Accounts Office.

Failure to complete the tuition fees deferral process will mean you will be cancelled from your courses by the deadlines stipulated by your Division.

Receiving Your Funding & U of T Outstanding Balance

Students who receive Canadian Outside of Ontario financial aid loans from their home province can use the loan funds to pay the outstanding balance at U of T. Financial information may be viewed on ACORN under ‘Financial Account.’ See the ACORN How-to step-by-step guide.

Payment Instructions: See ‘Making Payments’ instructions on the Student Accounts website.

Continuation of Interest free status (CIFS)

Interest Free Status & Schedule 2 Request

For students who previously received loans from their home province and are presently registered as full time or will be returning to full time studies at U of T, may have their loans put in ‘interest free status.’

Alberta and Quebec students, who previously received loans from their home province and are presently registered as a part time student, may request interest free status for their previous part time loans.

Medical Residency students and Interest Free Status: Students completing their medical residency must contact their home province who will determine eligibility for interest free status for their previous loans.  If eligible for interest free status, the home province will state the process required to be initiated by the student.   Any required confirmations of registration to obtain interest free status must be submitted by the student to their home department at the University of Toronto.

Requesting Interest Free Status:

Students who no longer receive financial aid loans, but have returned to full time studies status must request to have their full time studies status reported for their previous loans. The table below describes the method with which you can request interest free status. This must be completed by you, the student by the ‘Student Submission Deadlines’ listed above.

Reminder: All students with a paper form for Continuation of Interest Free Status must upload the appropriate documentation to Enrolment Services via the Out of Province Request Portal. See full instructions above under ‘Student’s Required Steps.’

Province or territoryFederalProvincial
AlbertaNSLSC onlineForm B paper form
British ColumbiaNSLSC onlineNSLSC online
ManitobaNSLSC onlineConfirmation of Return to School Form
New BrunswickNSLSC onlineNSLSC online
Newfoundland and LabradorNSLSC onlineNSLSC online
Northwest TerritoriesN/AN/A
Nova ScotiaNSLSC onlineNSLSC online
Prince Edward IslandNSLSC onlineConfirmation of Enrolment Form
QuebecN/AForm 2006 Paper - Full Time
SaskatchewanNSLSC onlineNSLSC online
YukonNSLSC onlineN/A


Withdrawal from your courses below the minimum full-time course load or entirely from your classes can impact the funding for your current study period/school year and future eligibility for student loans.  Speak to your College Registrar’s Office prior to dropping your course(s) to ensure you aware of the academic implications to a drop in course load.

Students must immediately inform Enrolment Services by e-mail at can.oop.financialaid@utoronto.ca once they drop below the minimum course load so that the new study status can be updated immediately with their lenders.

It is your responsibility to also follow any procedures as outlined by your province on reporting a withdrawal from studies or relevant course load changes.

Exchange Studies Applications

Students must contact their home province well in advance of the exchange study period start date to determine whether they may be eligible to receive financial aid.

Contact Information

e-mail: can.oop.financialaid@utoronto.ca

Processing times for an e-mail response is 8 business days.