Canada Financial Aid

Wondering how to finance your education? At the University of Toronto, there are many financial resources and support options for Canadian students outside of Ontario to help you finance your education.

Provincial and Territorial Government Assistance Outside of Ontario

If you’re a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person from another province or territory, or sponsored by a First Nations band, you may be eligible for financial assistance through your province or territories’ financial aid program or through your First Nations band. Be sure to check with your government or First Nations band. Don’t forget to apply well in advance before the start of your program!

The University Registrar’s Office at U of T is a good resource for students and can also assist with confirming enrolment and appeals.

University of Toronto Advanced Planning for Students (UTAPS) Program

To qualify for UTAPS, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or recognized refugee. You should have applied for government student aid from your province or territory or, if you’re an Indigenous student not applying for government aid, be receiving educational funding for Indigenous students—and then you need to have financial needs not covered by these programs. You also need to be full-time student in a UTAPS-approved program. Full details about UTAPS eligibility are available on the U of T Registrar’s website.

Need Navigator

Prospective, incoming, and current University of Toronto students can use the Need Navigator to access the UTAPS program and additional grants. Through the Navigator, students complete a financial need application that helps the University determine the student’s eligibility for UTAPS financial aid. The application is also be used by faculties and campuses to further assess financial need to provide divisional grants.