Ontario Financial Aid

Wondering how to finance your education? At the University of Toronto, there are many financial resources and support options for Ontario students to help you finance your education.

In addition to this website, be sure to check out our handy guide — Within Reach: How to Finance Your University of Toronto Experience — which is specifically designed for prospective Ontario university students!

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a government-funded student aid program. Funding consists of a mix of grants and loans.

OSAP assumes that your parent(s) or guardian(s), or spouse if applicable, will financially contribute to your educational expenses. The income of your parent, guardian, or spouse will be taken into consideration when you apply for OSAP.

Once you apply and qualify for OSAP, you’ll be considered automatically for other sources of funding, like non-repayable grants through the University of Toronto Advanced Planning for Students (UTAPS) program.

University of Toronto Advanced Planning for Students (UTAPS) Program

To qualify for UTAPS, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or recognized refugee. You should have applied for government student aid from your province or territory or, if you’re an Indigenous student not applying for government aid, be receiving educational funding for Indigenous students—and then you need to have financial needs not covered by these programs. You also need to be full-time student in a UTAPS-approved program. Full details about UTAPS eligibility are available on the U of T Registrar’s website.

Need Navigator

Prospective, incoming, and current University of Toronto students can use the Need Navigator to access the UTAPS program and additional grants. Through the Navigator, students complete a financial need application that helps the University determine the student’s eligibility for UTAPS financial aid. The application is also be used by faculties and campuses to further assess financial need to provide divisional grants.