Part-Time Students

Studying Part-time? If you’re taking less than a 60% course load in a certificate, degree, or diploma program, find out what financial aid is available to you.

Also, don’t forget to look out for scholarships you may be eligible for, in addition to the programs below. Part-time students with a permanent disability can apply for additional assistance.

Find out about scholarships

Find out about Financial Aid for Students with Permanent Disabilities (if applicable)

Part-Time OSAP

The 2018-19 OSAP Application for Part-time Students is now available to students to apply.

Find OSAP aid programs for part-time students

NEW! For the 2018-19 Application:

1) Student Document Upload: As part of the release for the 2018-19 OSAP application for Part-Time Students, students will be able to upload their signature pages and supplementary documents online. 

2) Changes to Negotiation Procedures for Part-Time Funding Certificates: The process for students to follow to have funds disbursed from a part-time funding certificate is changing. The existing process of going to a designated postal outlet and showing ID is still available, but will end after June 30, 2018.

For the new process, students must put their completed agreement, along with photocopies of two pieces of appropriate identification into an envelope and then seal it. A list of appropriate identification is available at

The student will take their sealed envelope to any Canada Post outlet. They will ask the postal clerk for Canada Post Return Number PR150936.

If the student is unable to go to a Canada Post outlet, they can send their sealed envelope with appropriate postage attached to the National Student Loans Service Centre at the following address:

National Student Loans Service Centre

PO Box 4030

Mississauga, ON L5A 4M4

For the 2017-18 Application: The 2017/18 application requires you to declare your 2016 income and provide a copy of your 2016 Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment as proof of income. You must submit your 2016 income tax return to the CRA to receive the required notice. If you had 2016 income, the Notice is considered to be the only acceptable form of income proof under program policy.  If you have a spouse, the same policies apply.

Course Load Confirmation Form – Graduate students must include this form with their Part-Time OSAP supporting documents

Income Thresholds for Part-Time Financial Aid Programs

The Noah Meltz Program of Financial Assistance

Online Application: 2019-20 Noah Meltz Online Application
The Meltz grant helps undergraduate students in certificate, degree, diploma programs, including the Academic Bridging Program, pursue their University of Toronto studies on a part-time basis.
Eligible students receive a non-repayable grant for the tuition cost of up to two credits during the fall/winter session and up to one credit during the summer session.  The grant amount also includes a set amount for books, transportation to and from classes and, if applicable, child care.
In addition to applying for the Meltz grant, students studying on a part-time basis should apply to OSAP for Part-Time Students. The Meltz application will be considered after OSAP results are available. Enrolment Services will review the two assessments to determine which program would provide the best source of funding (e.g., which program provides more total funding or which program provides more non-repayable grant). Students may also be eligible for a top-up Meltz grant in addition to OSAP for Part-Time Students.

Academic Year

Level of StudyUndergraduate
Value/AmountBased on calculated financial need
• Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person;
• Registered in a certificate, degree or diploma program;
• Taking less than 60% of a full course load;
• Annual gross income equal to or less than the eligible income levels for family size;
• Making satisfactory academic progress;
• Must not have received funding from a full-time student financial aid program for the same term;
• Must not be restricted from receiving government student aid (e.g., OSAP).
Income Thresholds for Part-Time Financial Aid Programs
Noah Meltz Supporting Documents
How to Apply  
Apply online!
NEW: Students can now submit one application for the full academic year (September to April) or one application per term (September – December or January – April).
For studies from September 2019 to April 2020, complete the online Noah Meltz application (application link will be available Aug 2019). Submit your online application within the first six weeks of study period start date.
Deadline to Apply     
Term / Deadline
Fall (September – December) term deadline: October 18, 2019
Winter (January – April) term deadline: February 21, 2020
Full Year (September – April) deadline: February 21, 2020
When is it paid?     

Processing time four to six weeks from when your application is complete.
You must be registered, classes must have started and your ROSI mailing address must be current for payment to take place.
The Meltz grant will be paid into your fees account against outstanding tuition fees to a maximum of one credit in each eligible term.
Your portion of the grant for books, travel, and child care (if applicable) will be issued directly to you, via direct deposit, in each eligible term. Please ensure that you have set up direct deposit on your ROSI/ACORN account when you apply for the Meltz grant.

Questions? Contact us at if you have questions about your application.

Noah Meltz Program FAQs

How do I register if I’m not able to make a fees payment?
As of the 2018/19 Fall/Winter term, students are able to do an electronic fee deferral through their ROSI/ACORN account.  You must allow two to three business days after Enrolment Services receives your application for the electronic process to work.  Students who owe fees from a previous study period cannot defer their fees until these outstanding fees are paid in full.

How do I check the status of my application?
If you haven’t received a decision six weeks from the date you submitted a complete application, please contact Enrolment Services at 416 978-2190, or visit Enrolment Services at 172 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario.

How do I make changes to my application information?

You will be able to make changes to a saved Noah Meltz application until you submit your application. After your application is submitted, changes can be submitted to Enrolment Services with a notification in writing.

How am I notified of the decision?
You will be notified via email to your University of Toronto email account.

What if I receive the Meltz Grant and then drop my course(s)?

You may lose your future eligibility for funding by dropping or failing to pass your course(s).

What is the Institution Funded Special Bursary?
You automatically will be considered for the Special Bursary when you submit a Meltz application.
While there is no difference in award amount between a Meltz grant or Special Bursary, students awarded the Special Bursary may be able to also access the government-funded Ontario Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD).

I’ve been refused the Meltz grant.  Can I appeal?

Yes, appeal requests may be submitted to Enrolment Services for the following reasons only.  A letter requesting an appeal and all supporting documentation must be submitted to Enrolment Services (Attn: Noah Meltz Program) no later than 40 days before the end of your study period.  Appeals submitted after this deadline will not be considered.  Appeal decisions will take between 4 to 6 weeks.

Note:  Letters requesting an appeal must clearly state your name and student number.

  • Course load Change:  If you were refused the Meltz grant because you were registered in at least 60% of a full course load but you are now taking less than 60% of a full course load submit the following:
    • A letter requesting an appeal of your Meltz application because you’ve reduced your term course load to less than 60%; AND,
    • If you received funding from OSAP for Full-Time Students for the same term, you must submit proof that you’ve repaid all of your OSAP funding.  (Examples of proof: a letter from the NSLSC stating the repayment amount; a printed statement from your NSLSC account showing the repayment amount).  Proof of repayment must originate from the National Student Loan Services Centre (NSLSC).
  • Income Change:If you were refused the Meltz grant because your (and your spouse’s, if applicable) annual gross income was greater than the Meltz Program income thresholds based on family size and now your (and/or your spouse’s) income has decreased, submit the following:
    • A letter with the reason(s) for the income change, your revised total gross annual income and a breakdown of how you calculated your revised annual income estimate; AND,
    • Proof of income supporting your revised estimate.
  • Non-degree Studies for graduate school admission:  If you were refused the Meltz grant based on registration in non-degree studies and are doing the course(s) to be admitted to a graduate program, submit the following:
    • A letter explaining why you’re doing non-degree studies; AND,
    • A signed letter on departmental letter head specifying the course(s) needed to be considered for admission.  The recommended course(s) must match the course(s) in which you’re registered.
    • Note:  Successful appeals regarding non-degree studies are approved for one year only.
  • OSAP restrictions due to academic progress:  Meltz applicants are expected to be in good standing and eligible for funding from OSAP or their home province/territory’s student aid program.  However, if the OSAP restriction is due to an OSAP suspension for academic progress reasons, you may be able to appeal your Meltz grant refusal.
    • OSAP Suspension for Academic Progress Reasons
    • Existing restriction – OSAP for Full-Time Students:  You may be able to appeal this restriction depending on the effective date of the restriction.  If the suspension period is over, you can request reconsideration of your current Meltz application.
    • Existing restriction – OSAP for Part-Time Students:  Students must self-fund and successfully complete one term of study to re-establish their eligibility for OSAP for Part-Time Students.  The Meltz grant can be considered a source to self-fund the required term.In either of these cases, submit:
    • A signed letter explaining the reason(s) for your previous academic issues, outlining improvements/changes in your situation which will better your academic chances and your academic goals for the study period. 
    • Supporting documentation where appropriate to support your request (e.g letters from doctors, academic advisors, counsellors, etc.).
  • Noah Meltz Program Probationary or Suspension status:

The first time a student drops or fails Meltz-funded courses they are placed on Meltz academic probation.  However, students can continue to apply for the Meltz Program in subsequent part-time terms.  The probationary period lasts for the remainder of the school year in which the issue occurred and the following school year.  If there are no repeated occurrences during this time frame, you will be removed from probationary status.

The second time a student drops or fails Meltz-funded courses, the student is suspended (ineligible) from the Meltz Program for twelve months from the drop date or the first of the month after the end of the particular session.

Multiple occurrences of academic progress issues will result in longer periods of suspension from the Meltz program.

If exceptional circumstances (e.g. medical situation, family crisis) impact on your academic success in a particular term, submit the documentation outlined under OSAP Suspension for Academic Progress Reasons to appeal your Meltz probationary or suspension status.