Other Loans and Student Lines of Credit

Most lending institutions offer lines of credit to students. Generally you can borrow between $5,000 to $10,000 a year, with interest payments required each month and repayment starting six months after completing your studies. Contact your lending institution for more details. U of T Financial Counsellors are also available to discuss your options.

If you are enrolled in a professional program, are a resident of another Canadian province or territory other than Ontario, or are a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible for other sources of financial support.

Unsure about the student lines of credit or loans offered by financial institutions? Talk to a U of T Financial Counsellor.

U.S. Students please visit the U.S. Student Aid section of our website.

Students in Professional Graduate Programs

Government Student Assistance: Eligible Ontario residents in eligible programs can apply for the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), a government financial aid program that assists eligible Ontario residents attending university through a combination of loans and grants. Students from other Canadian provinces/territories can apply for government student assistance through their provincial student assistance agencies.

Eligible US citizens/permanent residents may look into applying for US Direct Loans or alternative/private loans. More details can be found on this US Loans website.

UTAPS: Students in professional graduate programs are not eligible for UTAPS funding, except where noted below.

Departmental funding: Students in University of Toronto professional graduate programs (masters and doctoral) can refer to their programs/departments for information about both merit-based and need-based funding that may be available.

For needs-based funding, check with programs/departments for full instructions:

  • OSAP recipients may be considered by their departments automatically without having to submit additional forms.
  • Students with non-Ontario, out-of-province funding may be required by their departments to submit an Out-of-Province UTAPS Application Form, in addition to their own departmental requirements.

Talk to a Financial Counsellor in your Faculty

Line of Credit: Students also have the option of borrowing funds from Scotiabank through either the Scotia Professional Student Plan (SPSP) OR ScotiaLine for Students (ScotiaLine).  Whether a student is eligible to apply for SPSP or ScotiaLine depends on the student’s program of study, as indicated below.

Students interested in the lending products offered by Scotiabank should contact the Queen and McCaul Branch, Georgios Stathopoulos at georgios.stathopoulos@scotiabank.com or 416-866-3940 ext. 4209 to set up an appointment.

Note:  University of Toronto students are not required to use Scotiabank as a lender.  Students are free to pursue funding options at the financial institution of their choice. If a department is using a different lender, students are encouraged to contact the department directly for lender information.

2022-23 Professional Graduate Programs

Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering

  • Master of Engineering (MEng) – all areas of technical specialization – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Engineering in Cities Engineering and Management (MEng CEM) – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Health Science in Clinical Engineering – ScotiaLine

Faculty of Arts and Science – St. George

  • Master of Financial Economics – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Industrial Relations and Human Resources – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Mathematical Finance – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Science in Applied Computing – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Science in Planning – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Global Affairs – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Public Policy – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Financial Insurance – ScotiaLine

John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design

  • Master of Architecture – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Forest Conservation – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Landscape Architecture – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Visual Studies –  ScotiaLine
  • Master of Urban Design – ScotiaLine

Faculty of Dentistry

  • Master of Science (with Specialty Training)
    • Dental Public Health – ScotiaLine
    • Dental Anaesthesia – SPSP
    • Endodontics – SPSP
    • Orthodontics – SPSP
    • Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine – SPSP
    • Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology – SPSP
    • Pediatric Dentistry – SPSP
    • Periodontology – SPSP
    • Prosthodontics – SPSP
    • Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – SPSP
  • Doctor of Dental Surgery – SPSP
  • International Dentist Advanced Program (IDAPP) – 6-month intensive program and two-year DDS program – SPSP

Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE)

  • Master of Education – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Teaching – ScotiaLine
  • MA Child Study and Education – ScotiaLine

Faculty of Information Studies

  • Master of Information – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Museum Studies – ScotiaLine
  • Diploma in Advanced Study in Information Studies – ScotiaLine

Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education

  • Master of Professional Kinesiology – ScotiaLine

Faculty of Law

  • Juris Doctor – SPSP
  • Master of Laws – SPSP
  • Global Professional Masters of Laws – ScotiaLine
  • Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) – SPSP; UTAPS-eligible

Rotman School of Management

Temerty Faculty of Medicine

  • Bachelor of Science – Physician Assistant – ScotiaLine; UTAPS-eligible
  • MD and MD/PhD Programs, including all specialist programs – SPSP
  • Master of Health Science
    • Laboratory Medicine – ScotiaLine
    • Medical Genomics – ScotiaLine
    • Medical Physiology – ScotiaLine
    • Speech Language Pathology – SPSP
    • Medical Radiation Science – ScotiaLine
    • Translational Research Program – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Science
    • Occupational Therapy – SPSP
    • Physical Therapy – SPSP

       Temerty Faculty of Medicine Contact Information:

Faculty of Music

  • Master of Music – ScotiaLine

Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing

  • Master of Nursing – ScotiaLine
  • Post-Master Nurse Practitioner Diploma – ScotiaLine
  • Doctor of Nursing – ScotiaLine

Dalla Lana School of Public Health

  • Master of Public Health – ScotiaLine
    • Epidemiology – ScotiaLine
    • Family and Community Medicine – ScotiaLine
    • Nutrition and Dietetics – ScotiaLine
    • Nutrition and Dietetics (Advanced Standing) – ScotiaLine
    • Occupational and Environmental Health – ScotiaLine
    • Social and Behavioural Health (Health Promotion) – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Science in Community Health – ScotiaLine
    • Addictions and Mental Health – ScotiaLine
    • Family and Community Medicine – ScotiaLine
    • Health Practitioner Teacher Education – ScotiaLine
    • Occupational Health Care – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Health Science – Health Administration – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Health Informatics – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Science in Biostatistics – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Health Science in Bioethics – ScotiaLine

Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy

  • Doctor of Pharmacy – SPSP
  • PharmD for Pharmacists – SPSP
  • Master of Science (Graduate Department of Pharmaceutical Science) – SPSP
  • International Pharmacy Graduate Program – SPSP

Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work

  • Master of Social Work – ScotiaLine

University of Toronto – Mississauga

  • Diploma in Investigative and Forensic Accounting – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Forensic Accounting – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Forensic Accounting (Advanced Standing Option) – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Biotechnology – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Management Innovation – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Management and Professional Accounting – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Science in Biomedical Communications – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Science in Sustainability Management – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Science in Occupational Therapy – SPSP
  • Master of Urban Innovation – ScotiaLine

University of Toronto – Scarborough

  • Master of Environmental Science – ScotiaLine
  • Master of Accounting and Finance – ScotiaLine

Canadian Residents or Protected Persons: Provincial/Territorial Financial Aid Programs

Students who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons may be eligible for financial assistance from their provincial or territorial governments. Applications are usually available in late May or early June.

Requesting a Tuition Fee Deferral if you will receive Government Student Aid.